If you’re looking to pitch in to the relief effort for Chile after this morning’s massive earthquake, we’ve gathered some of the web’s best channels for humanitarian aid and reconstruction efforts.
While the death toll is not expected to grow anywhere near the numbers of the Haiti quake, Chile will still require support for the many who are now homeless and are in need of funds for the rebuilding of infrastructure.
If you have the means, we encourage you to donate through one of the channels below.
Text Your Support
As with the Haitian relief efforts, the Mobile Giving Foundation has launched a text messaging campaign for micro donations, and the four major U.S. mobile carriers, Verizon, At&T, Sprint, and T-mobile, have waived text messaging fees for donations.
To text your support:
1. Text the word “CHILE” to 25383 to donate $10 on behalf of the Habitat for Humanity
2. Text the word “CHILE” to 20222 to donate $10 on behalf of World Vision
3. Text the word “CHILE” to 52000 to donate $10 on behalf of the Salvation Army
4. Text the word “CHILE” to 90999 to donate $10 on behalf of the American Red Cross
Direct Donations Online
If you want to donate a larger amount directly to a non-profit of choice, consider these organizations that have active relief efforts underway.
1. American Red Cross – the American Red Cross International Response Fund helps victims of crises such as the Chile and Haiti earthquakes. If you wish to designate your funds to a specific crisis, you’ll need to mail in your donation.
2. Americares – funds go exclusively to the Chilean earthquake (and tsunami relief, should further tragedies occur)
4. World Vision Disaster Response Fund – your money goes towards relief efforts for global disasters worldwide (not Chile specifically)